- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) wild rice
- 12 oz (375 g) shiitake mushrooms (Substitute any other mushrooms)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- half large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 pinches salt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) soy sauce
- 2 tsp (10 mL) fresh thyme leaves (Substitute 1/2 tsp/2 mL dried thyme)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) chopped parsley
- 1-1/2 tbsp (22 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- pinch black pepper
In 6 cups/1.5 L boiling water, cook rice until tender and most grains have split open, about 40 minutes. Drain; place in large bowl.
Discard mushroom stems; chop caps.
In skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat; add mushrooms, green pepper, celery, onion and a pinch salt. Fry, stirring, just until mushrooms are wilted, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in vinegar, soy sauce, thyme and sugar; cook for 1 minute. Scrape over rice; let cool.
Stir in parsley, extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice, black pepper and remaining salt.
Makes 8 servings.