- 3 bunches (each 6 oz/175 g) watercress
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt
- 2 pkg (each 350 g) fresh fettuccine
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) grated lemon rind
- 2 tsp (10 mL) lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
Remove tough stems from watercress. In large pot of boiling salted water, boil watercress until almost tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain. Lightly press out extra water. Chop finely.
Melt butter in skillet over medium heat; cook watercress and salt, stirring occasionally, until soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook fettuccine according to package instructions; drain, reserving cupful of cooking water.
Add cream, lemon rind and juice to watercress; bring to simmer. Add fettuccine and toss, adding cooking water if necessary to keep moist. Stir in cheese and toss to coat.
Makes 4 to 5 main-course servings, or 6 to 8 first-course servings.