- 4 tbsp (60 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) fennel seeds
- 1 medium onion, cut in half lengthwise, then in thin slices crosswise
- 1 lb (450 g) mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) turmeric
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb (450 g) spinach, destemmed, washed and dried
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
1. In large skillet over high, heat half of the oil. Add fennel seeds and onion; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is lightly browned.
2. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until liquid evaporates and mushrooms are lightly browned. Add tomatoes, ginger and turmeric and cook until tomatoes soften. Season salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat. (Make-ahead: Can be prepared to this point up to 1 hour ahead.)
3. Place spinach in large serving bowl. In small bowl, mix together lemon juice, remaining oil, garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Just before serving, add dressing to spinach and toss well. Quickly reheat mushroom mixture over high heat and add to spinach. Toss well and serve immediately.