- 4 tbsp (60 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) fennel seeds
- 1 medium onion, cut in half lengthwise, then into thin slices crosswise
- 1 lb (500 g) mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) turmeric
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lb (500 g) spinach, stemmed, washed and dried
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
Heat 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the oil in a large skillet set over high heat. Add fennel seeds and onion. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is lightly browned.
Add mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until liquid evaporates and mushrooms are lightly browned. Add tomatoes, ginger and turmeric and cook until tomatoes soften. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. (Make-Ahead: Can be prepared to this point up to 1 hour ahead.)
Place spinach in a large serving bowl. Mix together lemon juice, remaining oil, garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Just before serving, add to spinach and toss well. Quickly reheat mushroom mixture over high heat and add to spinach. Toss well and serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings.