- 2 small red beets
- 2 small yellow beets
- 2 bulbs fennel, trimmed
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 8 oz (225 g) halloumi cheese, cut in 8 slices
- 2 cups (500 mL) PC Organics Quinoa (prepared from 3/4 cup / 132 g dry)
- 4 cups (1 L) packed baby arugula (4 oz / 115 g)
- 2 navel oranges, peeled and cut in slices
- Spiced Almonds (see recipe below)
- Orange Vinaigrette:
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- Zest of 1 orange (1 tbsp / 15 mL)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh orange juice
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) liquid honey
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground pepper
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 425°F/220°C. Wrap beets separately in foil pouch. Cut fennel in half through core end and slice into 1/4-inch/5 mm wedges. In bowl, toss fennel with 1 tbsp/15 mL of the oil and salt; bake with beet pouch on foil-lined baking sheet for 30 to 45 minutes, turning fennel at halfway point, until fennel is caramelized and beets are tender. Let beets sit for 15 minutes; peel and slice into wedges.
2. Meanwhile, for the vinaigrette, in small bowl, whisk together mustard, orange zest, orange juice, vinegar, garlic, honey, pepper and salt. Whisk in oil; set aside.
3. Preheat grill pan or skillet to high. Brush halloumi slices with remaining oil. Cook for about 1 minute per side, until golden brown.
4. In large bowl, toss cooked quinoa with fennel, arugula and vinaigrette. Divide salad among 4 plates; top with warm cheese and orange slices and scatter with roasted beets. Garnish with Spiced Almonds.
1/3 cup (75 mL) whole almonds
1 tbsp (15 mL) maple syrup
1/2 tsp (2 mL) chili powder
1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
Pinch cayenne pepper
1. In small bowl, combine almonds, maple syrup, chili powder, salt and cayenne. Bake nuts in 350°F/180°C oven on a non-stick baking liner or a foil-lined baking sheet for 15 minutes, until glazed. Let cool; break into pieces.