- 2 lbs (1 kg) green and/or white asparagus, trimmed
- 2/3 lb (350 g) cooked Atlantic cold-water shrimp
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 to 4 finely sliced red or green bird's eye (Thai) hot peppers
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) loosely packed coriander leaves
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) loosely packed mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped roasted peanuts
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) crispy fried shallot
- Sweet-and-Sour Lime Dressing:
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) lime juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fish sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) rice vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) hot pepper flakes
Sweet-and-Sour Lime Dressing: Dissolve sugar in 2 tbsp/30 mL boiling water; stir in carrot, lime juice, fish sauce, vinegar, garlic and hot pepper flakes. Remove from heat and let stand for at least 30 minutes. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 1 day.)
Peel white asparagus and, if desired, thick stalks of green asparagus. Blanch in boiling salted water until tender; drain, chill under cold water and drain well. Place on serving plate or 4 individual plates.
Toss together shrimp, green onions and bird's eye peppers (to taste), coriander, mint and Sweet-and-Sour Lime Dressing. Spoon over asparagus; sprinkle peanuts and shallots over top.
Makes 4 servings.