- Nut Layer:
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) walnut halves
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) packed brown sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter, melted
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- Cheese Layer:
- 1 pkg (250 g) cream cheese, softened
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) molasses
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cornstarch
- 1 egg
- Apple Layer:
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 4 cups (1 L) peeled cored finely sliced apples
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground allspice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) coarse brown sugar, such as Demerara
Nut Layer: Line bottom and sides of 8-inch/2 L square metal baking pan with parchment paper.
In food processor, finely chop walnuts; thoroughly mix in sugar, butter, flour and salt. Spread evenly into prepared pan. Bake in centre of 350°F/180°C oven for 12 minutes. Let cool on rack while assembling cheese layer.
Cheese Layer: With electric mixer, beat together cream cheese, sugar, molasses, cornstarch and egg until smooth. Spread evenly over nut layer. Return pan to oven; bake for 15 minutes.
Apple Layer: Meanwhile, melt butter in skillet over medium heat. Add apples, granulated sugar, cinnamon and allspice; fry, stirring often, until apples are tender, 6 to 12 minutes, depending on apple variety and ripeness. Arrange apple mixture evenly over cheese layer; sprinkle with coarse sugar.
Return pan to oven and bake for 20 minutes. Let cool completely on rack.
Remove from pan. Cut into 9 squares; cut each in half.
Makes 18 bars.