- Nut Layer:
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) walnut halves
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) packed brown sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter, melted
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- Cheese Layer:
- 1 pkg (250 g) cream cheese, softened
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) molasses
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cornstarch
- 1 egg
- Apple Layer:
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 4 cups (1 L) peeled cored finely sliced apples
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground allspice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) coarse brown sugar, such as Demerara
1. For Nut layer, line bottom and sides of 8-inch/2 L square metal baking pan with parchment paper.
2. In food processor, finely chop walnuts; thoroughly mix in sugar, butter, flour and salt. Spread evenly into prepared pan. Bake in centre of 350°F/180°C oven for 12 minutes. Let cool on rack while assembling cheese layer.
3. For Cheese Layer, in medium bowl with electric mixer, beat together cream cheese, sugar, molasses, cornstarch and egg until smooth. Spread evenly over nut layer. Return pan to oven; bake for 15 minutes.
4. For Apple Layer, meanwhile, in large skillet over medium, melt butter. Add apples, granulated sugar, cinnamon and allspice; fry, stirring often, until apples are tender, 6 to 12 minutes, depending on apple variety and ripeness. Arrange apple mixture evenly over cheese layer; sprinkle with coarse sugar.
5. Return pan to oven and bake for 20 minutes. Let cool completely on rack.
6. Remove from pan. Cut into 9 squares; cut each in half.