- 1 -inch / 2.5 cm piece fresh ginger
- 2 Dungeness crabs (about 2-1/2 lb/1.25 kg each) (Substitute 5 lb/2.2 kg snow, blue or other crabs)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) thinly sliced red onion
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) thinly sliced peeled firm semiripe peaches or mangoes
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) thinly sliced peeled firm semiripe cored cucumber
- 1 small carrot, finely grated
- 3 Thai bird's eye chilies or hot finger peppers, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) lime juice
- 4 tsp (20 mL) fish sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) brown sugar
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped fresh coriander
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped fresh mint
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped roasted peanuts (Substitute finely chopped roasted cashews)
Crush ginger with side of knife; place in large saucepan with 1 inch/2.5 cm salted water. Bring to boil. Add crabs; cover and steam over high heat for 15 minutes. Drain; rinse under cold water and drain again, discarding ginger. Let cool. Shell crabs.
Meanwhile, cover onion in cold water; soak for 15 minutes. Drain; rinse under cold running water and drain well. Place in large bowl with peaches and cucumber; add crab meat.
In small heatproof bowl, place carrot, chilies and garlic. In small saucepan, bring lime juice, fish sauce, 1 tbsp/15 mL water, sugar and salt to boil; pour over carrot mixture. Stir well; let cool.
Pour carrot mixture over crab mixture; toss with coriander and mint. Transfer to serving dish; sprinkle with peanuts.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.