- 4 oz (125 g) bean thread noodles
- 4 oz (125 g) ground pork or chicken
- Half English cucumber
- 1 carrot
- Quarter small red onion
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh coriander
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh mint or basil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fish sauce
- 2 tsp (10 mL) grated gingerroot
- 2 to 4 tsp (10 to 20 mL) thinly sliced Thai chilies
- 1 tsp (5 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) coarsely chopped peanuts
In bowl, soak noodles in enough cold water to cover until pliable, about 5 minutes; drain. In large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook noodles until tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove with tongs and chill under cold water; drain and cut into 1-inch/2.5 cm lengths. Place in large bowl. Add pork to saucepan; cook, breaking up with spoon, until no longer pink, about 1 minute. Drain in sieve and rinse briefly under cold water; drain and let cool. Add to noodles.
Slice cucumber as thinly as possible; stack into small piles and slice crosswise as thinly as possible into fine julienne (or use mandoline). Add to noodles. Repeat with carrot; add to noodles. Slice red onion as thinly as possible; cut slices into 1/4 inch/5 mm lengths. Add to noodles with coriander and mint.
In small bowl, mix lime juice, fish sauce, ginger, hot peppers and sugar; pour over noodle mixture and mix well. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 2 hours.) Transfer to serving platter; sprinkle with peanuts.
Makes 4 servings.