- 12 oz (375 mL) flank steak
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) black pepper
- 1-1/2 tbsp (22 mL) oyster sauce
- 2 tsp (10 mL) fish sauce
- Pinch granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) peanut oil or vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 to 5 Thai bird's eye chilies, halved lengthwise
- Pinch salt
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) thinly sliced shallots
- 1 cup (250 mL) loosely packed Thai basil leaves or 1/3 cup/75 mL shredded mint leaves
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lime juice
Thinly slice steak across grain into 1/8-inch/3 mm thick slices; sprinkle with pepper. In separate bowl, mix together oyster and fish sauces, sugar and 2 tbsp/30 mL water. Set aside.
In wok or skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; add garlic, chilies and salt, and fry until garlic is golden.
Add steak; increase heat to high and stir-fry until steak is seared all over, about 2 minutes.
Add oyster sauce mixture and stir-fry for 1 minute; add shallots and continue stir-frying for 1 minute. Stir in basil until wilted. Transfer to serving dish. Sprinkle with lime juice.
Makes 4 servings.