- 1 lb (450 g) loaf egg bread (challah or brioche) or home-style white bread
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) sweet sherry
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) ground almonds
- 2 tsp (10 mL) grated lemon zest
- 2 lb (1 kg) sweet cherries, pitted
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups (500 mL) milk
- 1 cup (250) whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) granulated sugar
1. Butter 13 x 9-inch/3 L or comparable-size baking dish.
2. Remove and discard crusts from bread; cut into 1-inch/2.5 cm cubes. Line bottom of baking dish with half of the cubes; drizzle with half of the sherry, then sprinkle with half of the almonds and half of the zest. Cover with about two-thirds of the cherries. Repeat layers, covering with remaining cherries.
3. Whisk together eggs, milk, cream, vanilla and all but 1 tbsp/15 mL of the sugar; pour over bread mixture. Let stand for 30 minutes, spooning liquid over bread mixture several times to saturate. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
4. Bake in centre of 375°F/190°C oven until puffed and golden and knife inserted in centre comes out clean, about 45 minutes.