- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1-2/3 cups (400 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) ground hazelnuts
- 5 egg whites
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) potato starch or cornstarch
- 3 cups (750 mL) stemmed red currants
In large bowl, beat butter with sugar until fluffy; beat in egg yolk.
In separate bowl, whisk flour with baking powder; stir into butter mixture until in soft crumbly dough. Evenly press into bottom and around entire side of 8-inch/ 20 cm springform pan; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Sprinkle 1/2 cup/125 mL of the hazelnuts over pastry.
Meringue: Beat egg whites until in soft peaks; beat in sugar 2 tbsp/30 mL at a time until in stiff glossy peaks. Fold in remaining hazelnuts. Remove 1 cup/250 mL; set aside for topping.
Sift potato starch over remaining Meringue; fold in, then fold in currants. Spoon into crust, smoothing top; spread with reserved Meringue, smoothing top.
Bake in centre of 375°F/190°C oven for 45 minutes. Loosely cover with foil; return to oven and bake until light brown and cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Let cool in pan on rack; remove pan side. Cover and store at room temperature for up to 24 hours.
Makes 8 servings.