- Easy recipes
- Gluten free
- Lactose free
- Low calorie
- Nut free
- Peanut free
- Prenatal pick
- Full of Veg
- 8 cups (2 L) leaf or Romaine lettuce
- 2 cups (500 mL) sunflower sprouts (2 oz/60 g)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) toasted sunflower seeds
- Spiced Vinaigrette:
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) coriander seed
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) black peppercorns
- 3 cloves
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) white wine vinegar
- 2 strips lemons peel (2 inches/5 cm long)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) sunflower or other vegetable oil
Spiced Vinaigrette: In small saucepan, toast coriander seeds, peppercorns and cloves over medium-low heat until coriander seeds darken slightly and spices are fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add vinegar, lemon peel and 1/4 cup (60 mL) water; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes; remove from heat. Stir in sugar and salt; let cool. Strain into bowl; whisk in oil. Refrigerate for up to 1 month.
Place lettuce in salad bowl; top with sprouts. Drizzle with half of the dressing. Sprinkle seeds over top.
Makes 4 servings.