- 1 cup (250 mL) ground almonds
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 4 cups (1 L) blackberries, blueberries and/or raspberries
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) cornstarch
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp/15 mL milk, or 2 tbsp/30 mL whipping cream
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) coarse brown sugar or white sugar
- <strong>Sweet Dough</strong>:
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) warm milk
- 2 tsp (10 mL) active dry yeast
- 3 egg yolks
- 2-3/4 cups (675 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) ground cardamom
- 1 cup (250 mL) chilled butter, cubed
Sweet Dough: Sprinkle milk with yeast and let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes; whisk in egg yolks.
In food processor, pulse together flour, sugar, lemon rind, salt and cardamom; pulse in butter until in pea-sized clumps. Add milk mixture and pulse just until dough holds together.
With floured hands on lightly floured surface, lightly knead a few turns (adding a little more flour only if dough is sticking to work surface) until in soft, slightly sticky ball. Place in buttered bowl, turning to coat, and cover with plastic wrap; let rise at room temperature until doubled in volume, about 90 minutes.
Lightly push down dough. On lightly floured surface, roll out dough into 12- x 14-inch/30 x 35 cm rectangle. Transfer to parchment paper-lined or buttered baking sheet.
Mix almonds with 3 tbsp/45 mL of the granulated sugar; spread lengthwise, about 4 inches/10 cm wide, down centre of rectangle.
Stir together berries, remaining granulated sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice; spoon evenly over almonds.
Fold 1 long edge of dough up over filling, covering berries; lightly brush with water. Fold second long edge of dough over first, pinching along edge to seal seam. Cover with tea towel; let rise for 30 minutes.
Brush top with egg mixture. With scissors or razor blade, cut about ten 2-inch/5 cm diagonal slashes along centre through to filling. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake in centre of 350°F/180°C oven until top is golden and filling is bubbling, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool on pan on rack.
Makes 8 to 12 servings.