- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) quinoa
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) apple juice
- 2-1/3 cups (575 mL) vegetable broth
- 4 oz (115 g) cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Half firm pear (such as Bosc), cored and chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 6.5 oz (185 g) slices fresh sprouted-grain bread, cubed
1. In small saucepan, heat 1 tbsp/15 mL of the oil over medium-high heat; add quinoa and toast, stirring occasionally, for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in apple juice and 1-1/3 cups/325 mL of the broth and bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until all of the liquid has been absorbed and quinoa has split, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to large bowl; let cool enough to handle.
2. Meanwhile, in skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat; sauté mushrooms, onion, celery and garlic until onion is softened and translucent, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in pear, poultry seasoning, thyme and salt. Stir in remaining broth; remove from heat.
3. Toss bread and mushroom mixture into quinoa mixture to combine. Lightly grease 12-cup muffin tin; press large handful of stuffing very firmly into each cup to compact. Bake in centre of 400°F/200°C oven until tops are deep brown and crisp, about 30 minutes. Let cool in pan on rack.
Tip: Turn these out of the pan, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days, then microwave on medium for 2 to 3 minutes, or warm through on baking sheet in 325°F oven for 15 to 20 minutes.