- 1 bunch broccoli (1-1/2 lb / 675 g)
- 12 oz (340 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2), thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) homemade or reduced-sodium chicken stock
- 4 tsp (20 mL) cornstarch
- 1 tsp (5 mL) reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Chinese rice wine, sake or dry sherry
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) white pepper
- 2 green onions
- 2 egg whites
- 12 oz (340 g) oyster or mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely diced celery
1. Separate broccoli tops into florets; peel stems and slice. In saucepan of boiling salted water, blanch until tender-crisp or desired tenderness; drain and transfer to serving platter. Keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix together chicken, 1 tbsp/15 mL of the stock, cornstarch, soy sauce, wine, oil, ginger and pepper.
3. Slice white parts of onions; thinly slice green parts to make 2 tbsp/30 mL.
4. In small bowl, whisk egg whites with 2 tbsp/30 mL of the stock until thoroughly mixed. Set aside.
5. In wok, skillet or large saucepan over high heat, bring remaining stock to a boil; add mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms are tender. Stir in chicken mixture; return to boil. Stir in celery and white parts of onions; cook for 1 minute. Stir in egg-white mixture in thin stream; when set, stir in green parts of onions. Spoon over broccoli.