- Blend it for baby
- Easy recipes
- Low calorie
- Nut free
- Peanut free
- Few steps
- Full of Veg
- Great for guests
- 1 butternut or buttercup squash, about 3-1/2 lb (1.5 kg)
- 1 pkg (12 oz / 340 g) jumbo pasta shells
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) (approx.) salt
- Pinch each nutmeg and white pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh sage, cut in thin strips
1. Cut squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds; place cut side down on rimmed baking sheet. Bake in 425°F/220°C oven until very tender, 30 to 60 minutes, depending on variety and age of squash. Let cool.
2. Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente, about 12 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold water and drain well.
3. Peel squash; place flesh in large bowl and mash well. Mix in cream, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Fill one shell with heaping 2 tbsp/30 mL of the squash mixture; repeat with remaining squash mixture (about 24 pieces). Place seam side up in buttered 12-cup/3 L casserole dish.
4. In small saucepan over medium, melt butter and pinch salt; cook until butter is light nutty brown; add sage and cook, stirring, for 10 seconds. Pour immediately over shells; cover with foil. (Make-ahead: Let stand at room temperature for up to 4 hours or refrigerate for up to 1 day; bring to room temperature before baking.) Bake in 450°F/230°C oven until piping hot, 20 to 25 minutes