- 1 bunch (1 lb/500 g) kale
- 1 large white onion, coarsely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt
- 1 lb (500 g) whole wheat spaghetti or regular spaghetti, or linguine
- 1/2 cup (60 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) black pepper
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) grated Romano cheese
- Grated Romano cheese (optional)
Strip kale leaves from tough stems. Place kale leaves in saucepan with onion, garlic and 1/2 tsp/2 mL of the salt; add 3 cups/750 mL water. Bring to boil; cover and cook over medium heat until kale is tender, 12 to 18 minutes. Reserving cooking liquid, drain.
Place solids and 3/4 cup/175 mL of the reserved cooking liquid in food processor; pulse until minced but not puréed (or very finely chop by hand and mix in reserved cooking liquid). Set aside.
Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions until al dente; drain. Return pasta to pot over medium heat; add kale mixture, half of the oil, remaining salt, pepper and 1/2 cup/125 mL of the reserved cooking liquid.
Cook, stirring constantly, until heated through, adding a little more reserved cooking liquid as necessary to keep pasta moist. Remove from heat; mix in cheese and remaining oil. Serve with extra grated cheese, if desired, and a pepper mill for extra pepper.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.