- 6 cups (1.5 L) sour cherries (about 2 lb/1 kg), pitted
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) cornstarch
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) cornmeal
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each nutmeg, cinnamon and salt
- pinch ground cloves
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) buttermilk
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter, melted
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Demerara sugar or brown sugar
Stir together cherries, sugar and cornstarch; scrape into 8-inch/20 cm or comparable square glass baking dish.
Topping: Whisk cornmeal, flour, dark brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and cloves. In separate bowl, whisk buttermilk, butter and yolk; pour over dry ingredients. Mix just until combined.
Drop Topping by spoonfuls over cherry mixture. Sprinkle with Demerara sugar.
Bake in centre of 400°F/200°C oven until cherry mixture is bubbling and Topping is golden brown, 25 to 40 minutes. Let cool on rack.
Makes 8 servings.