- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated grana Padano cheese or Parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) milk
- Pinch each salt, cayenne pepper and nutmeg
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) shredded aged provolone cheese
- Pinch cream of tartar
- Tomato Sauce:
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- Half onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Pinch each salt and black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) canned chopped tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) crumbled dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
- Pinch granulated sugar
Sprinkle sides and base of buttered 8- x 3-3/4-inch/2.5 L soufflé dish with about 2 tbsp/30 mL of the grana Padano cheese; set aside. Preheat oven to 425°F/220°C.
In saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; stir in flour and cook, stirring and without letting flour brown, until flour no longer smells raw, about 1 minute. Whisk in milk, salt, cayenne and nutmeg; cook, whisking constantly, until thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
One at a time, whisk in egg yolks until blended; whisk in provolone and remaining grana Padano cheeses. Scrape into large bowl.
In separate bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until in stiff but not dry peaks; fold one-third of the beaten egg whites into yolk mixture, then fold in remaining whites. Scrape into prepared soufflé dish. Place in centre of oven; reduce heat to 400°F/200°C and bake until puffed and golden, 30 to 35 minutes. Serve immediately.
Tomato Sauce: Meanwhile, in small saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; add onion, garlic, salt and pepper, and fry until onions are softened, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, oregano, vinegar, sugar and 1/4 cup/60 mL water; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve on side.
Makes 4 servings.