- 16 large Nova Scotia sea scallops
- 1 side wild B.C. salmon (about 1-1/2 lb / 675 g)
- Ginger and Green Onion Relish:
- 12 green onions, minced
- 2 sprigs cilantro, minced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) grated fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced seeded red hot pepper
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- Scant 1/2 tsp (2 mL) finely ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) peanut oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sesame oil
1. To make relish, in medium heatproof bowl, stir together onions and cilantro; top with ginger, hot pepper, salt and white pepper. In saucepan, heat peanut oil until light haze appears over oil but oil isn't smoking; remove from heat and stir in sesame oil. Immediately pour over onion mixture. Stir until well combined; let cool. Strain off most of oil, leaving enough to keep relish quite moist; reserve oil.
2. Lightly brush scallops and salmon with reserved oil. Place salmon skin side down on greased grill over medium-high heat. Close lid and grill until skin is crispy; flip and grill until centre of thickest part is just turning opaque, about 10 minutes total. Grill scallops, flipping once, just until centres are turning opaque, about 5 minutes.
3. Place salmon on serving plate; surround with scallops. Top each scallop with dollop of relish; spoon line of relish over salmon.
*Originally titled "A Mari usque ad Mare Grill" from freshjuice.ca.