Citrus-juice acid cooks the proteins in raw seafood, similar to what heat does during the cooking process. While denser seafood requires a longer marinating time, salmon needs to marinate only minutes before you eat it, leaving it soft, moist and fresh.
- 8 oz (225 g) (approx.) skinless sushi-grade salmon fillet
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- Pinch salt
- Half avocado, cut in 8 thin slices
- 1 cup (250 mL) red cabbage microgreens
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) finely chopped savoy cabbage (about 5 leaves)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) shredded radishes (about 3 radishes)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) packed red cabbage microgreens
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cooked shelled edamame beans
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp (5 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- Pinch freshly ground pepper
1. For dressing, in medium bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper. Set aside 1 tsp/5 mL.
2. For slaw, add cabbage, radishes, microgreens, edamame and onion to bowl with Dressing, tossing to coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to 1 hour.
3. Cut salmon into small dice. Just before assembling salads, toss with cilantro, lemon juice and salt.
4. To build salads, stack 2 slices of avocado on top of each other; use ring mould (or empty tomato-paste can with both ends removed) to cut out circles of avocado (discard what's left). Spoon one-quarter of the slaw on top of avocado in mould and use fingers, small bottle or shot glass to tamp down tightly. Spoon one-quarter of the salmon ceviche into mould and tamp down firmly. While pressing down on ceviche, lift ring mould up to leave tower of avocado, slaw and ceviche.
5. Dip microgreens in reserved dressing; arrange atop salad towers.
If dealing with a food allergy, intolerance or sensitivity or special dietary needs for a medical condition, always check the label of processed foods (including spices and condiments) to ensure that they’re free of potentially harmful ingredients. If you have any doubt about a product’s ingredients, contact the manufacturer.