- 1 pineapple
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped fresh coriander
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) packed light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) soy sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fish sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground coriander seeds
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each cumin and cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each ground cloves and nutmeg
- 1 pork rib roast, bone-in (about 4 lb/2 kg)
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- Coriander sprigs
Cut rind from pineapple in wide strips; core and cut pineapple into bite-size pieces. Set aside rind and fruit.
In food processor, process garlic and coriander, adding enough of the vinegar to make smooth paste. Mix in sugar, soy sauce, fish sauce, coriander seeds, pepper, cumin, half of the cayenne pepper, cloves, nutmeg and remaining vinegar.
Place pork in roasting pan; cover with spice mixture. Lay pineapple rind (rind side up) over top. Pour 1 cup (250 mL) water into pan; roast in 325F (160C) oven for 1-½ hours, adding ¼ cup (60 mL) water at a time to pan, if necessary, as liquid evaporates.
Remove rind; roast, basting every 10 minutes with pan juices, until meat thermometer inserted in centre registers 170F (75C), 30 to 45 minutes.
Transfer to serving platter; surround with pineapple pieces; sprinkle remaining cayenne and salt over pineapple; spoon pan juices over pork. Garnish with coriander sprigs, if desired.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.