- Easy recipes
- Gluten free
- Lactose free
- Low calorie
- Sodium Smart
- Nut free
- Peanut free
- Simple recipes
- 1 oz (30 g) dried porcini mushrooms
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) (approx) turkey or chicken stock
- 2 cups (500 mL) long-grain rice
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) salt
- 2 cups (500 mL) wild rice
- 1 lb (500 g) cremini or white mushrooms
- 1 turkey gizzard, chopped
- 1 turkey liver
- 1 turkey heart, halved
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) black pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) dry sherry
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) chopped celery leaves
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh thyme or 1 tsp/5 mL dried
In 1-1/2 cups/375 mL water, soak porcini mushrooms until softened, about 30 minutes. Reserving soaking liquid, and discarding any dregs on bottom, drain mushrooms in fine sieve over measuring cup; mince porcini mushrooms and set aside.
Add enough stock to reserved soaking liquid to make 2-3/4 cups/675 mL; pour into rice cooker (or saucepan) and add long-grain rice and 1/4 tsp/1 mL of the salt. In rice cooker, cook according to manufacturer's directions (in saucepan, bring to boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes).
Let sit, covered, for 15 minutes; fluff with fork and transfer to large bowl.
Meanwhile, in saucepan of boiling water, boil wild rice over medium heat until tender but slightly chewy, and many grains are split, about 35 minutes. Drain; mix with cooked long-grain rice.
Halve cremini mushrooms or, if large, quarter.
In food processor or with knife, mince gizzard, liver and heart.
Melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat; fry onions until golden. Add porcini mushrooms, minced giblets, pepper, cloves and nutmeg; fry until giblets are browned. Add garlic and cremini mushrooms; fry until mushrooms begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
Sprinkle in sherry and remaining salt; cook until sherry has evaporated and mushrooms are tender. Scrape into rice.
In separate bowl, beat eggs with 1/2 cup/125 mL of the stock; stir into rice mixture. Stir in parsley, celery leaves and thyme.
Makes 16 cups (4 L).