- 1 small head red cabbage, shredded (10 to 12 cups/2.5 to 3 L)
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) salt
- Half red onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 large red apples, julienned
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) caraway seeds
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) prepared mustard
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) black pepper (approx)
- 6 slices cooked bacon, chopped
In large bowl, toss cabbage with salt; let stand, tossing occasionally, until softened, about 2 hours.
Transfer to colander; squeeze out as much liquid as possible. In bowl, toss with onion, apples and caraway seeds.
Whisk together vinegar, mustard, oil, sugar and generous 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper; mix well with cabbage mixture. Toss with bacon.