- Easy recipes
- Fibre Rich
- Lactose free
- Prenatal pick
- Few steps
- Folate rich
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) quinoa
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) chopped dried apricots
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- Citrus Ginger Vinaigrette:
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) grated orange zest
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh orange juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch each salt and pepper
1. Using fine-mesh sieve, rinse quinoa well (if the quinoa isn't pre-rinsed). In small saucepan, combine quinoa with 1-1/2 cups/375 mL water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until quinoa is translucent and all of the water has been absorbed, about 18 minutes.
2. Remove pan from heat; with fork, fluff quinoa. Gently stir in cranberries, apricots, onions, salt and pepper. Let cool for 20 minutes; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
3. For the vinaigrette, whisk together orange zest, orange juice, lemon juice and ginger. In thin steady stream, gradually whisk in oil. Whisk in salt and pepper.
4. Gently toss salad with vinaigrette until well coated.
Tip: In late summer, substitute about 2 cups/500 mL wild or cultivated blueberries for the dried cranberries and apricots.