Orecchiette (“ear”) pasta is perfect for this dish because the little ear-shaped cups snugly hold the peas. For a lighter dish, omit the cream. Serve with extra Parmesan.
- 12 oz (340 g) small pasta
- 2 cups (500 mL) shelled fresh peas (about 2 lb / 900 g unshelled) or thawed frozen peas
- 1 head Boston lettuce, chopped
- 1/4 tsp + pinch (1.5 mL) salt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter or olive oil
- 1 bunch green onions, cut into pea-size pieces
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) whipping cream
- Pinch nutmeg
- Pinch white pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) shredded mint leaves (optional)
1. In pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions until al dente. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, in saucepan, mix together peas and lettuce; add 1/4 tsp/1 mL of the salt. Add just a little less water than to cover; bring to boil and cook until peas are tender, 3 to 8 minutes. Reserving 1/3 cup/75 mL of the cooking liquid, drain.
3. In skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add onions and remaining salt; cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Add pea mixture, cream, nutmeg and pepper; bring to simmer.
4. Add pasta; cook, stirring and adding reserved cooking liquid as needed, until pasta is coated and hot. Stir in cheese and mint, if using.