- 3 tbsp (45 mL) unsalted butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) (approx.) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) rye flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) poppy seeds
- 2 tsp (10 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp (10 mL) melted unsalted butter
1. In skillet over medium, melt butter; add onions and pinch salt. Fry, stirring often, until evenly golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes; let cool.
2. In large bowl, whisk together all-purpose, rye and whole wheat flours, all but 1 tsp/5 mL of the poppy seeds, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and the remaining salt. In separate bowl, beat buttermilk with egg; add onions and stir until thoroughly mixed. Add to flour mixture; with well-floured hands, mix to form dough. Lightly knead until smooth but still somewhat sticky; form into ball.
3. Place on lightly buttered or parchment-lined baking sheet. Lightly press to flatten slightly; brush with melted butter and sprinkle with remaining poppy seeds. Score X into top.
4. Bake in centre of 350°F/180° C convection oven or 375°F/190°C conventional oven until lightly browned and cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes. Remove from pan; let cool on rack.