- 2 tsp (10 mL) black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp (5 mL) hot pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cumin seeds
- 6 whole cloves
- Half cinnamon stick
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground coriander
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) palm sugar, jaggery or packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) lemon juice
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 tsp (10 mL) grated gingerroot
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- Pinch black pepper
- 8 nectarines (about 2-1/2 lb/1.25 kg), pitted and coarsely chopped
In dry saucepan, toast together mustard seeds, hot pepper flakes, cumin seeds, cloves and cinnamon over medium-low heat, shaking, until fragrant and mustard seeds begin to pop; add coriander and toast for 20 seconds.
Stir in vinegar, sugar, lemon juice, onion, ginger, salt and pepper and bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Cover and simmer on low heat for 5 minutes.
Stir in nectarines; return to simmer and cook, covered and stirring occasionally, until nectarines are very soft, about 8 minutes. Uncover and continue simmering, stirring often, until mixture is thickened, 10 to 12 minutes; let cool. Refrigerate for up to 4 weeks or, if preferred, process for 20 minutes in jars.
Makes 5 cups/1.25 L.