- 1/3 cup (75 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 French stick or baguette, sliced on the diagonal
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) basil pesto
- 8 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb (250 g) freshly grated Parmesan cheese or Asiago cheese
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) finely chopped toasted pine nut
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) canola oil
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) sea salt
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
- Black pepper
- 8 cups (2 L) mesclun salad green
Combine the olive oil and garlic in a small bowl. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. Discard garlic. Brush the bread slices on both sides with garlic-infused oil and arrange on a baking sheet.
Preheat the oven to 450F (230C) and bake the toasts until golden, about 10 minutes. (Make-Ahead: Toasts can be made ahead, covered and stored at room temperature for up to a day).
Spread equal amounts of pesto over each slice of toast. Set on a baking sheet. Arrange 2 to 3 tomato slices over the pesto and top with some of the grated cheese
Salad: Combine the olive oil, canola oil, salt, lemon juice, vinegar and pepper in a jar and shake well. Place the salad greens in a large bowl. Drizzle with dressing and toss gently. Arrange an equal amount of greens on eight salad plates. Top each salad with 2 or 3 warm toasts and serve immediately.
Makes 8 servings.