- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) basmati rice
- 3 cups (750 mL) water
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked corn kernels
- 1 each sweet red and green peppers, diced
- 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) light sour cream
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) olive oil
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp (10 mL) each dried oregano and ground cumin
- 2 avocados
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped fresh coriander leaves or parsley
Rinse rice in several changes of cold water; drain. Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add rice and salt. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until tender. Spread hot rice on baking sheet; let cool. Combine rice, black beans, corn, sweet peppers, jalapenos and onion in a large serving bowl.
Whisk sour cream with olive oil, lime juice, oregano and cumin. Pour over rice mixture and toss to coat well. Cover and refrigerate for up to 12 hours. Just before serving, peel and chop avocados. Add to salad along with coriander. Taste and add salt if needed.
Makes 12 servings.