- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry white wine
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk celery with leaves, thinly sliced
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp / 2 mL dried)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2 lbs (1 kg) lobster
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) thinly sliced shallots
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) risotto rice, such as arborio, carnaroli or vialone nano
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1-1/2 tsp (22 mL) finely chopped parsley
1. In pot large enough to steam lobster, bring wine, onion, celery, parsley, thyme, bay leaf, peppercorns, salt and 2 cups/500 mL water to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Increase heat to high; add lobster, cover and steam, reducing heat to medium-high when liquid returns to boil and adding more water if liquid reduces to less than 1 cup/250 mL, until lobster is almost cooked through, about 12 minutes.
2. With tongs, transfer lobster to sink and rinse with cold water. Discarding solids, strain cooking liquid into large measuring cup; add enough water to make 2-3/4 cups/675 mL. Pour into small saucepan.
3. Reserving shells, remove meat, tomalley (liver) and roe (if any) from lobster; cut meat into chunks. Break shells into small pieces.
4. In separate saucepan, heat oil over medium-low heat; add lobster shells, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring often, until oil is orange, about 20 minutes. Discarding shells, strain lobster oil into heatproof bowl; set aside.
5. On side burner over low heat, maintain reserved lobster cooking liquid at gentle simmer.
6. In separate saucepan, heat 2 tbsp/30 mL of the lobster oil over medium heat; add shallots and garlic and fry, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes.
7. Add rice and fry until oil is absorbed, 1 to 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup/125 mL of the simmering cooking liquid; cook, stirring, until liquid is absorbed. Stirring almost constantly, continue adding stock, 1/2 cup/125 mL at a time, until rice is creamy and tender yet slightly resilient, about 18 minutes in total.
8. Add lobster meat, tomalley and roe, butter and 2 tbsp/30 mL of the cooking liquid or water; cook, stirring, until lobster is heated and cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in parsley and 2 tsp/10 mL of the lobster oil; add more salt, if desired. Serve immediately.