- 4 sweet red peppers, roasted and peeled
- 12 oz (375 g) chicken livers
- 1 lb (500 g) linguini
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch hot pepper flakes
- 8 sage leaves, torn into pieces
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) black pepper
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) dry white vermouth or wine
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped parsley
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Purée peppers in food processor.
Trim livers; halve small lobes and cut large lobes into thirds.
In pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions until al dente; reserving 1/2 cup/125 mL of the cooking liquid, drain.
Meanwhile, in skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; fry onion until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, hot pepper and sage; fry until garlic is golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add liver and black pepper; sear liver. Add wine and salt; cook, stirring, until wine is almost evaporated. Stir in puréed pepper; bring to boil. Stir in reserved cooking liquid; reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Stir in parsley. Ladle over pasta. Serve with grated cheese on side, if desired.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.