- 6 cups (1.5 L) strawberries, sliced
- 1-1/2 tbsp (22 mL) granulated sugar
- Small pinch salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) whipping cream
- 2 tsp (10 mL) icing sugar
- <strong>Lemon Curd</strong>:
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) finely grated lemon rind
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) lemon juice
- <strong>Pound Cake</strong>:
- 1 cup (250 mL) butter,softened
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) granulated sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) buttermilk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
Pound Cake: Line 9 x 5-inch/2 L loaf pan with parchment paper; set aside.
In large bowl, beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy; one at a time, beat in eggs until light and creamy. Stir in buttermilk and vanilla.
In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir into butter mixture until smooth and blended.
Scrape into prepared pan, smoothing top; bake in centre of 300F/150C oven until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean, about 90 minutes. Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes.
Carefully lift out of pan, remove parchment paper and transfer to rack; let cool completely. (Wrap in plastic; keep at cool room temperature for up to 1 day.)
Lemon Curd: In heatproof bowl over saucepan of hot (not boiling) water, whisk together eggs, egg yolks, sugar, and lemon rind and juice; cook, stirring frequently, until translucent and thick enough to mound on spoon, about 20 minutes. Scrape into bowl and place plastic wrap directly on surface; refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour. (Refrigerate for up to 3 days.)
Toss together strawberries, granulated sugar and salt; let stand for at least 15 minutes. Whip cream with icing sugar until in soft peaks.
Trim off and discard brown ends from Pound Cake; cut into 10 slices and plate. Spread Lemon Curd over each; top with strawberries, then whipped cream.
Makes 10 servings.