- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) black pepper
- 2 leeks (white and light green parts only)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil or butter
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) dry white wine
- 1 lb (500 g) fettuccine or tagliatelle
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped parsley
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Beat together eggs, yolks, cheese and pepper; set aside.
Halve leeks lengthwise; slice each half crosswise as thinly as possible.
In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; add leeks, salt and nutmeg and fry, stirring often, until leeks are softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add wine and cook until liquid has evaporated.
Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions until al dente; reserving 1-1/2 cups/375 mL of the cooking liquid, drain.
Add pasta and 1/2 cup/125 mL of the reserved cooking liquid to leek mixture in skillet; bring to simmer and reduce heat to low.
Whisk another 1/2 cup/125 mL of the reserved cooking liquid into egg mixture; stir into skillet. Heat, stirring constantly, until sauce is thick enough to coat pasta (do not let mixture reach simmer), adding additional reserved cooking liquid if mixture is too dry.
Remove from heat; stir in parsley. Serve with grated cheese on the side, if desired.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.