- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 1 bunch leeks (white and light green parts only), chopped (4 to 5 cups/1 to 1.25 L)
- 4 cups (1 L) chopped celery
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each dried thyme and white pepper
- 3 cups (750 mL) chicken stock
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) whipping cream
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped chives or green parts of green onion
In soup pot, melt butter over medium-low heat; stir in leeks, celery, onions, potato, thyme and pepper. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft, about 15 minutes, reducing heat if necessary to avoid browning. Stir in stock, 3 cups/750 mL water and salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
Using immersion blender or in batches in blender, blend until smooth. Pass through fine sieve, in batches, into clean pot, discarding solids that cannot be pressed through sieve. Stir in cream; bring to boil. Garnish with chives.