- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) arborio rice
- 3 cups (750 mL) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) white wine or additional chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried mushrooms
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme leaves
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon peel, grated (optional)
- 1 cup (250 mL) broccolini chunks or rapini
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Combine butter, onion, garlic, salt and pepper in a large microwaveable bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap; make a vent hole and cook on high for 1 minute or until softened.
Stir in rice, broth, wine, mushrooms, thyme and lemon peel (if using). Cover and cook on high for 5 minutes. Stir well; cover and cook for 5 minutes longer. Repeat.
Add broccolini and cook for 1 to 2 minutes longer or until rice is al dente. Stir in cheese and let stand for 3 to 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Variations: Omit mushrooms and broccolini. Drain 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) beets and dice finely. Add to rice mixture for last 5 minutes of cooking. Stir in 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh dill or 1 tsp (5 mL) dry dillweed.
Tip: Use leftover risotto to make risotto cakes. Stir 1 beaten egg into 2 cups (500 mL) leftover risotto. Shape mixture into patties and reserve, tightly wrapped, in the refrigerator. To cook, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) each butter and cooking oil in a skillet set over medium-high heat. Add patties; cook, turning once, for about 3 minutes per side or until crisp and golden.