- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) fresh corn kernels
- 6 green onions, halved lengthwise and cut in 2-inch/5 cm lengths
- 4 hot red peppers, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) (approx) peanut or vegetable oil
- <strong>Seasoning Sauce</strong>:
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) soy sauce
- 4 tsp (20 mL) rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tsp (10 mL) sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 green onion, minced
Seasoning Sauce: Stir together soy sauce, vinegar, sesame seeds and oil, garlic and onion.
In large bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, salt and pepper; add 2 cups/500 mL ice water, stirring until smooth. Beat in eggs just until blended. Stir in corn, onions and hot peppers.
In 10-inch/25 cm cast-iron or nonstick skillet, heat half of the oil over medium heat; pour in half of the batter and spread to edge. Fry, reducing heat if bottom is browning quickly, until top is set and bottom is golden brown, about 8 minutes; flip and continue frying until bottom is golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes.
Slide onto plate and cut into 6 or 8 wedges; keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve with Seasoning Sauce on side.
Makes 8 servings.