- 1-3/4 cups (425 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) baking soda
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) icing sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) grated Key lime rind
- 4 tsp (20 mL) Key lime juice
- Sugar Coating:
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 grated rind Key lime (scan 1/2 tsp/2 mL)
Sugar Coating: In small bowl of food processor, whirl sugar and lime rind until sugar is fine. Transfer to bowl; cover and let stand for at least 2 hours or overnight. (If sugar clumps, break up into powder.)
Whisk together flour, baking powder and baking soda; set aside. Beat butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy; beat in yolk, lime rind and juice. Gradually stir in flour mixture.
Transfer dough to pastry bag fitted with 1/2-inch/ 1 cm star tip (or plastic bag with corner cut out). Pipe out 1-1/2-inch/4 cm long cookies onto parchment paper–lined baking sheet. Bake in 300F/150C oven until edges and ridges are just starting to turn golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Roll in lime sugar while still warm; let cool on rack.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies.