- 2 cups (500 mL) low-fat (1%) to full-fat yogurt
- 1-1/2 lbs (750 g) potatoes
- 2 cups (500 mL) frozen peas, thawed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) peanut or vegetable oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) black or yellow mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cumin seeds
- 2 green hot peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced sweet onion
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt
- Generous 1/4 tsp (1 mL) garam masala or black pepper
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped fresh coriander or parsley
Drain yogurt in cheesecloth-lined sieve in the refrigerator, for at least 3 hours or overnight, discarding or drinking whey (or reserve for another use, such as bread making).
Boil potatoes; drain, peel and cut into 1/2-inch/1 cm cubes. Let cool. Stir together with drained yogurt and peas.
In nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; add mustard, cumin and hot peppers, and fry until mustard seeds begin to pop. Immediately add onion; fry until onion just begins to soften, about 1 minute. Scrape over salad; add salt and garam masala. Mix well. Stir in coriander.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.