- 3/4 cup (175 mL) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) liquid honey
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) ground almonds
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each ground allspice, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) coarsely chopped almonds
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) (approx.) sliced almonds
1. In large bowl, beat butter until fluffy; beat in honey, then egg and vanilla.
2. In separate bowl, whisk together flour, ground almonds, baking soda, baking powder, ginger, allspice, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper; stir into butter mixture. Fold in chopped almonds.
3. Drop by level 1 tbsp/15 mL of the dough 2 inches/5 cm apart on parchment-lined rimless baking sheets; top each with generous 1/2 tsp/2 mL of the sliced almonds laid flat.
4. Bake in centre of 350°F/180°C oven until golden, 12 to 13 minutes. Let cool on pans on racks for 5 minutes; transfer to racks and let cool completely.