- 3 cups (750 mL) hazelnuts
- 2 cups (500 mL) blanched almonds
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cardamom
- Pinch salt
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) finely grated lemon rind
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter or margarine, softened
Place hazelnuts, almonds, granulated sugar, cardamom and salt in food processor; whir until nuts are finely ground. Transfer to large bowl. With hands, thoroughly mix in brown sugar and lemon rind. Beat together eggs and yolks; pour over nut mixture and mix until a stiff dough has formed. Knead in butter until thoroughly incorporated.
Roll rounded tablespoonfuls of dough into balls. Place at least 2 inches/5 cm apart on 2 parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Press each ball to flatten to about 1/2-inch/1 cm thickness.
Bake, one sheet at a time and turning sheet after about 12 minutes, in centre of 325°F/160°C oven until golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven; immediately flip cookies over on hot baking sheet and let sit 5 minutes. Transfer to rack and let cool completely.
Makes 48 to 60 cookies.