- 1 large stalk celery
- 6 oz (175 g) smoked ham, finely diced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) diced cornichons (French-style sour gherkins ) or mini dill pickles
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tsp (10 mL) sherry vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) mayonnaise
- Pinch each salt and white pepper
- Small Vol-au-Vents:
Peel strings from celery; cut crosswise into a few pieces. In saucepan of boiling water, blanch celery for 30 seconds; chill under cold water. Drain and finely dice; transfer to bowl. Add ham and cornichons.
In saucepan of boiling water, cook eggs over high heat for 5 minutes; chill under cold water. Finely dice egg whites; add to bowl.
In separate bowl, mash together egg yolks, vinegar and mustard until smooth; whisk in oil, mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Scrape into ham mixture and mix well. Place 2 tbsp/30 mL ham salad in each of the vol-au-vents.
Makes 16 pieces.
Make-ahead: Refrigerate salad for up to 1 day. Fill vol-au-vents just before serving.