- 3 tbsp (45 mL) peanut oil or vegetable oil
- 3 onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated gingerroot
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground dried chili pepper or 2 tsp/10 mL cayenne pepper
- 2-1/2 tsp (12 mL) ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cloves
- 5 cardamom pods, crushed, or 1/4 tsp/1 mL ground cardamom seeds
- 1 lb (500 g) lean ground beef or lamb
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fish sauce or 1 tsp/5 mL salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) black pepper
- 1 can (398 mL) coconut milk
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) lime juice
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) coriander leaves
In large skillet or saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; add onions and cook until browned, 12 to 15 minutes.
Stir in garlic, ginger, chili pepper, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom; fry, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add beef; fry, stirring and breaking up with wooden spoon, until beef is seared and oil begins to separate, about 5 minutes.
Stir in fish sauce, sugar and pepper; fry for 30 seconds. Stir in coconut milk; reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in lime juice. Transfer to serving dish; garnish with coriander leaves.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.