- Calcium rich
- Easy recipes
- Fibre Rich
- Lactose free
- Low calorie
- Prenatal pick
- Few steps
- Full of Veg
- Folate rich
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil or vegetable oil
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 large white or spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek (white and light green parts only), finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) green split peas
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and finely diced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) white pepper
- 10 cups (2.5 L) kale or collard greens (leaves only), chopped
- 12 oz (340 g) fresh spinach, chopped
- 4 thin slices speck, prosciutto or lean ham (optional), julienned
1. In large pot over low to medium-low, heat oil; cover and sweat celery, onion, leek and garlic, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes.
2. Stir in peas, potato, salt and pepper. Add 6 cups/1.5 L water and bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Add kale; cover and simmer until tender, about 12 minutes (15 to 20 minutes for collard greens). Stir in spinach; cover and simmer until tender, about 4 minutes. Ladle into serving bowls; top each with speck (if using).