- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive or vegetable oil
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 large white or spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek (white and light green parts only), finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) green split peas
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and finely diced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) white pepper
- 10 cups (2.5 L) kale or collard greens (leaves only), chopped
- 12 oz (375 g) fresh spinach, chopped
- 4 thin slices speck, prosciutto or lean ham (optional), julienned
In large pot, heat oil over low to medium-low heat; sweat celery, onion, leek and garlic, covered and stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes.
Stir in peas, potato, salt and pepper. Add 6 cups/1. 5 L water and bring to boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
Add kale; simmer, covered, until tender, about 12 minutes (15 to 20 minutes for collard greens). Stir in spinach; cover and simmer until tender, about 4 minutes. Ladle into serving bowls; top each with speck (if using).
Makes 8 servings.