- 1/4 cup (50 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) boiling water
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) chopped candied ginger
- Chocolate Cream-Cheese Icing:
- 4 oz (125 g) light cream cheese, softened
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) light sour cream
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) icing sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
Brownies: Preheat oven to 300F (150C). Mix cocoa with boiling water; reserve.
Beat sugar with butter in a large bowl. Stir in egg, cocoa mixture and vanilla until smooth. Stir in flour and ginger. Spread batter evenly in a greased 8-inch (2 L) square cake pan.
Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until set; don't overbake. (The brownies are quite shallow and very moist.) While still slightly warm, spread with chocolate cream-cheese icing. Cool, cover and refrigerate. (Can be stored in refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.) To serve, cut into small bars.
Icing: Beat cream cheese with sour cream until very smooth. Sift icing sugar with cocoa and beat into cheese mixture until smooth.
Makes 24 bars.