- 1/2 cup (125 mL) diced dry-cured bacon or smoked bacon
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) peanut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 hot peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh thyme leaves or 1 tsp/5 mL dried thyme
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) black pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 3 cups (750 mL) chopped peeled tomatoes
- 2 cups (500 mL) chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 4 cups (1 L) trimmed sliced okra (about 1 lb/500 g)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) lemon juice
In large saucepan over medium heat, fry bacon and oil until bacon renders its fat; add onion, green bell pepper, celery, parsley, hot peppers, thyme, salt, pepper and cayenne and fry, stirring often, until vegetables are soft, 12 to 15 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes, stock and 2 cups/500 mL water; bring to boil. Add okra; simmer until okra is tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in lemon juice.
Makes 8 servings.