This fresh and lively salad makes full use of summer’s rich vegetable palette – in flavour and in visual appeal. Both field cucumbers and small fresh pickling cucumbers are lovely in this dish.
- 2 cups (500 mL) shelled fresh romano beans or cranberry beans (Buy 1-1/4 lb/625 g unshelled fresh beans)
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced ripe tomatoes
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) diced sweet onion
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) diced sweet green pepper
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh mint or basil (Substitute 1 tsp/5 mL dried oregano)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) lemon juice
- 1-1/2 tsp (22 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) black pepper
Boil beans until fully tender and creamy inside, 30 to 40 minutes. Drain; chill under cold water and drain well. Mix with remaining ingredients.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.