- 1 cup (250 mL) thinly sliced green onions (white and light green parts only)
- 2 green hot peppers, seeded and minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) grated gingerroot
- 1 lb (500 g) (approx) ground turkey
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chili bean paste or 1 tbsp/15 mL Asian chili sauce (optional)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) five-spice powder
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) soy sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped green onions (dark green parts only)
- 1 lb (500 g) noodles such as Chinese noodles, fettucine or spaghetti
- 4 cups (1 L) shredded napa cabbage or bok choy
In skillet or wok over high heat, pour enough oil to coat bottom; add white and light green parts of green onions, peppers, garlic and ginger and stir-fry until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add turkey, breaking up with back of spoon or spatula; stir-fry until turkey is no longer pink inside and liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Stir in hoisin sauce, chili bean paste (if using) and five-spice powder; stir-fry for 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, soy sauce and 1 cup/250 mL water.
Cover and reduce heat; simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened and turkey is tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in dark green parts of green onions.
Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook noodles according to package instructions, adding cabbage for last 2 minutes. Drain and top with sauce.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.