- 1 chicken, cut in pieces, or 2-1/2 to 3 lb (1.125 to 1.35 kg) chicken pieces
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 10 thin slices fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 hot peppers
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fish sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) rice
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in chunks
- 4 cups (1 L) coarsely chopped bok choy
1. Sprinkle chicken all over with pepper. In large shallow Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; add ginger and garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add chicken; fry skin side down until browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Add cloves, hot peppers, onion and bay leaf; stir-fry for 5 minutes. Add fish sauce; stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add 7 cups/1.75 L water; bring to a boil. Add rice; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
2. Add potatoes; cover and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Skim off fat. Add bok choy; increase heat to medium and boil until tender-crisp, about 3 minutes.