This elegant appetizer is easy to put together and can be made in advance. Our version is also lighter than traditional Spanish gazpacho!
- Sea salt
- Large heirloom carrot (optional)
- Chives (optional)
- Yellow Pepper Gazpacho:
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) olive oil
- 2 yellow peppers, diced
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) vegetable stock
- Cool Cucumber Gazpacho:
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) cubed English cucumber (about 3/4 of a cucumber)
- 1 cup (250 mL) loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- Rich Red Gazpacho:
- 1 tub (473 mL) Garden Fresh Gourmet fresh salsa, chilled
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) red wine
1. For the Yellow Pepper Gazpacho, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté peppers and shallot until softened, about 5 minutes. Place in food processor or blender with stock; puree. Refrigerate until cold, at least 30 minutes.
2. For the Cool Cucumber Gazpacho, in food processor or blender, puree cucumber, cilantro and 1-1/2 cups/375 mL water. Strain through sieve, discarding solids. Refrigerate until cold, at least 30 minutes.
3. For the Rich Red Gazpacho, in sieve or colander, drain salsa. Stir in red wine.
4. Season each soup with a pinch each salt and pepper or to taste.
5. To layer soups, spoon 2 tbsp/30 mL of the red gazpacho into a champagne flute. Gently spoon 2 tbsp/30 mL of the yellow gazpacho on top; gently spoon 1-1/2 tbsp/22 mL of the cucumber gazpacho on top. Repeat with remaining champagne flutes. Keep chilled up to 3 hours until ready to serve.
6. If desired, thinly slice heirloom carrot into coins. With small flower-shaped cookie cutter, cut a flower shape from each coin. Place in bowl of cold water to keep crisp. To garnish, cut small slit into each flower and hang on rim of champagne flute. Garnish with whole chives.
If dealing with a food allergy, intolerance or sensitivity or special dietary needs for a medical condition, always check the label of processed foods (including spices and condiments) to ensure that they’re free of potentially harmful ingredients. If you have any doubt about a product’s ingredients, contact the manufacturer.